Our Story

img-0269_orig_edited.jpg

Early in 1956 a group of about 15 people met to begin the process of organizing a Lutheran congregation in the East Whittier area. The new congregation was then named Shepherd of the Hills and funds were obtained for the purchase of property. While the new church was being built, members met at various locations around the Whittier area, including the East Whittier Women's Club, the Roxy Theater, Baily School Auditorium and the Seventh-Day Adventist Church 

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held at the present site in June of 1960 and construction begin the next day. The first service was held in the church on November 1, 1960

In the early to mid 1960's. a nursery, kindergarten & Sunday School rooms and a Youth Center were completed. Construction was done by members, who also added part of a building moved from downtown Los Angeles. Sunday morning worship services were broadcast over Radio Station KDAY. Also, during this time, the church's facilities were made available to community groups such as Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, AA, Al-Anon and other support groups.

img-1180.jpg
img-1230_edited.jpg

until February of 2019 when Pastor Golf return to Thailand to be with family. In 2017 we were also blessed to have Crave Life, under the direction of Pastor Moses Barrios begin worshipping in the church. On the first Sunday of each month all three congregations began worshiping together on what was called "Together is Better " Sundays. Pastor Moses became the half-time pastor for both Crave Life and Shepherd of the Hills and the winds of change were in the air. A move to merge the two congregations was begun and then COVID-19 struck! Most of the Crave Life members moved away and Pastor Moses accepted a call in Oahu, Hawaii. The merger did not happen, However, a name change was voted on to honor this attempt. Shepherd of the Hills will now be know as Shepherd of Life Lutheran Church

Although the church begun with a very European-based congregation, it has morphed into a community that welcomes all people regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or political affiliation. We pride ourselves on our hospitality and friendliness to all. In approximately 2009, a developing Thai congregation, under the direction of Pastor Pongtep Chutimapongrat, lovingly known as Pastor Golf, began worshipping here at Shepherd and they became known as That Shepherd. That association remained until  

Support Our Church

Donate toward the mission of unifying all people through Christ 

  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram